Friday 11 February 2011

The change of season. + Me being effete and feeble.

It’s been a funny kind of week where getting anything done has felt like wading through treacle, and I've felt like I'm not accomplishing anything. Just like the weather. Some days have been sunny and felt just like Spring was round the corner.
Bulbs! Quick everyone rush out and get your vitamin D!
But before anyone could get excited it started raining again.
How unhappy do those ducks look? 'Hmm. Nice weather for ducks. We don't think so!'
I think we are in the Goddess as Maiden phase at the moment where she is dramatic and changeable. In real life she would be reading Twilight, worrying about her acne and spending too much money in Claire’s Accessories.
I don't know what that carpet is made of but we once upended a plate of tomato sauce on it and no stain. Kryptonite?
I got my Valentine card from Amy’s Valentine swap – isn’t it lovely? It’s from Andrea. Thanks Andrea! I have placed it carefully on our cd rack next to the lava lamp. Partner was interested. ‘Who is sending you a card that says “thinking of you?” ‘ he said, sarcastically. ‘Is it Milo?’. Milo is my brother Dan’s husky. When the only other creature in the world your partner can imagine forming an emotional attachment to you is a Husky I suspect that is a bad sign.
All things bright and beautiful la la la
Still, my daffs have come out really beautifully! I bought these from the tiny greengrocer down the road and when I brought them home, unpromising isn’t the word. But aren’t they cheery? One of the things I sometimes think I should do to, how shall we say this, incorporate my spirituality more fully into my daily life, is have an altar. A pagan altar is obviously not a huge great thing to sacrifice goats on like in Rosemary’s Baby, it is just a small space you are supposed to set aside and place symbolic things on to focus yourself. However, not only is our house very small and without clear horizontal surfaces that have not got books on, I am allergic to ornaments and it is going to irritate me just as much whether it is a gonk or an Athame. So I am not keen on an altar. So instead I am trying to bring things which are symbolic of the season and put them in the kitchen, which is where I do most of my creating stuff, so is like a giant altar. That is my theory anyway. Don’t make me go and clear a space to balance an Athame on.

At least this week ended with cake.
Cake with fruit! It is a health food. It is part of my five a day. I must make sure to eat enough of it
This is Dutch Apple Cake from Bake by Rachel Allen. If you like baking (I do like baking) I recommend this book, it has some lovely recipes.

Well, hopefully next week I will be able to get more things finished, because there’s quite a lot on my list. Soapmaking, tie-dyeing, preparing for a craft show in a few weeks, planting the new hedge, stuff to do. The one thing above all others I need to not do is start eyeing up another hobby, thoughtfully. Which is why I am absolutely not going to google anything about dyeing yarn, I am absolutely not. Because making yarn into something incredibly brightly coloured is not something that would interest me at all. No, it definitely wouldn’t. Not going to google. No…

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

11 comments:

Amy said...

Lovely card...thanks for your pic. I'll link you up. That cake sure looks yummy!

Susie said...

It is a lovely card, thanks for doing the swap ;-).

...trots off to start on the cake...

Unknown said...

Lovely card and dafodils. Love your green green grass and canal. I miss green grass, canals, rivers, and trees with real leaves. I even miss rain.

No need to Google. What do you want to know about dying yarn? Want me to send kool aid, Wiltons?

Vivianne said...

LOL I know that cake as Swedish Apple Cake; and, if I might be picky :-) : ''A pagan altar is obviously not *JUST* a huge great thing to sacrifice goats on like in Rosemary’s Baby,''

LOL

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I love the pictures...I'm intrigued by this living by a canal thing....Lucy from Attic24 often posts pictures of the canal in her hometown...

Susie said...

Vivianne, lol. Don't you scare the non-pagans. Remember, we lure them in with daffodils, we don't tell them about the goat sacrificing until later. (Joking, nice non-pagan readers).

Denise, currently I know nothing apart from I have to wrap it in clingfilm and put it in the microwave, I don't know how when or why and it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen O_O. I would love Kool Aid beyond all things!

Not Gracey, thank you x. It's the river Cam, it is quite pretty (the stretch where it goes to Granchester is nice). It is not far from my house and I have to cross it to get into town. I love Attic24 ;-).

J.G. said...

The daffs are spectacularly lovely!

Wait, are they the gateway drug for becoming a pagan? :-)

Oh Miss West said...

The flowers are lovely. The cake looks great. Partner should appreciate the fact that you are a bright, intelligent, attractive woman, and he's damn lucky to have you. That card might not have been so innocent, and he should not scoff.

Kath said...

Monster is envious you have daffodils!
Your card is so lovely, the sparkles are great - haha I'm such a freak for sparkly things...except vampires that sparkle, that's just wrong on so many levels *shakes head*

Marushka C. said...

I do love the photos of the river, Susie. Are those the narrow boats on the Cam? Is it funny to think that as you go about your daily life and write about it here, people halfway around the world are going, "Wow! The narrow boats, I read about them in a book and she can see them any time she wants to! This is fabulous!"

Susie said...

They are on the Cam! Yes it is funny because I am always fascinated to see where other people live but never think anyone will be interested in Cambridge. We have cows grazing in our city centre as well, I can't remember if I've done pictures or not but I always think that is quite cool ;-).