Tuesday 21 June 2011

Destined to be a singleton? Or not?

I want you to know that I cleaned that table thoroughly very recently. AND NOW IT'S AS BAD AGAIN!
I can’t decide if this mitten is too ugly for me to knit its friend or not. What do you think? (I don’t think the pattern – Hippocampus, kindly offered free by Torirot Design – is ugly, I love the pattern, in fact this pattern was why I learned how to do stranded knitting. It’s my colour choice I’m questioning). I wanted two variegated colours because that's what I like about the original but I’m not sure the green quite works. The Noro is the only Noro that was on sale specially chosen with great care.
I am a Happy Hippocampus cunningly rendered in Wool
What do you think? Cut my losses or plough on? Don’t feel shy about letting me have it, I’m robust. Also I have already heard every joke going about my inadequate colour combinations as I appear to be living with Kaffe Fassett.

10 comments:

Sara said...

Keep ploughing on! I love the colours, they remind me of the colours you see when petrol and water are mixed :)

Vivianne said...

If YOU like the colors, knit it's mate so it has company :-)

Wool Free and Lovin' Knit said...

hmm, not colors I would choose, but I bet on a dreary cold, damp February afternoon they will be very cheering!

Grateful4Crochet said...

I really like the colours

Sharripie said...

If it weren't for all those ends, I'd say cut your losses. You've done lovely work here, but I think the colors aren't really working. It would be sad to get complimented on them, only to have to say, "Thank you! The colors didn't come out the way I wanted, but I'm glad you like them." Better to salvage the yarn for a project you can't wait to show off to random strangers on the street.

Susie said...

Thank you everyone for your tact and honesty! :-).

Sharripie, yes, there are lots of ends so the yarn is not really very salvageable. I will finish this one as I have only three rows to go on the thumb and then perhaps knit something else for a while and see how I feel.

This is the excitement of stranded knitting, you look at two colours in a ball and they look fine, you look at them knitted up and they look completely different O_O.

Anonymous said...

OK. Love Noro. Love the pink and red. (and the purple and orange and blue). Usually love green too. But perhaps not in this design? Not sure it isn't kind of contra indicated for a sea horse design. Which makes me cross to say because I wonder if I am saying that all sea designs have to be blue and green. I hope I'm not saying that. But I might be. Admiring your clever stranded work though - I had a dabble the other day. It was enjoyable and had quite pleasing results. Will need to practise further before I go on to a design though.

I do like your blog. Thanks for asking for our opinions and really meaning it (you can tell). I like the assortment of stuff on your blog and you think about stuff and put it out there. And you are funny. That's always good.

Maria S said...

I love the pattern, love the wool, but I think it's the cuffs that make the whole thing not quite *right*... For me, the orange/blue cuffs don't really go with the pink/green body of the mitts. But that's just my opinion. Luckily you can't see the colours I'm wearing at the moment, or you might not take me seriously...

yvette said...

I really like it - what does that say about me, I wonder? And I agree with the comment that in the depths of a dark british winter you will find those colours cheery and encouraging. So go on, knit the other one!

Voie de Vie said...

If you have to ask us ... then you should tink and cut your losses. :)

Love what you make or don't make it - that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!