Wednesday 23 May 2012

For Dan

This is just to show my brother Dan my latest painting, because he was once foolish enough to show interest, and that means he must now be spammed for the rest of his life with renderings of increasingly bizarre vegetables. I am sparing you my Study Of Asparagus In A Purple Mug thus far though, Dan, as I do not like the way I have depicted the mug, although I do like the asparagus and particularly the gold highlights which are inspired by Klimt, who is no doubt turning in his grave.
I think we only painted peppers because the teacher is fed up of me painting things purple. I could see him thinking, ha, try turning that purple, damn you. I got a bit of a purple shadow in there, though
It is my opinion that oil painting is the Best Kind Of Painting, because, it all merges together and kind of paints it with you. It is like someone is helping! The Universe? Also, if you cock it up, you can just sigh and wipe it all off with a bit of kitchen paper and then start again. I did that twice!

This painting took me about 1 1/2 hours with time for chatting and biscuits. Partner laughs at this and says paintings are supposed to take longer, and he has never known anyone churn them out like me. Then he made me watch Tony Hancock in The Rebel, and now when I show him things he says, and when will we be working on Aphrodite At The Waterhole? Well be careful Partner, because that will show you if I take up sculpture and arrive home one day with a giant rock in my bike basket. Think on.

4 comments:

Voie de Vie said...

I like your veggies, although I am an acrylics fan, still.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, recognisable peppers. You are indeed, multi-talented!!


Jacqueline

The Foggy Knitter said...

Why did I not know that Tony Hancock appeared in films?! How fabulous! You can have no idea how much that has rocked my world!

There's a great Hancock's Half Hour episode where Hancock decides to take up sculpture and it turns out that Sid James is getting the necessary rocks from some suspicious places (you wouldn't expect anything less!).

Dan said...

But I would like to see the asparagus in a mug. Very nice peppers by the way. I'm impressed that it only took 1 1/2 hours. Next time I visit, I hope to find you standing at an easel wearing a paint splattered smock, waving a palette around and swearing in french.