Sunday 20 June 2010

A lovely parcel + the yarn clearout continues apace

Something very exciting came for me in the post yesterday:

Some lovely plants, very kindly sent to me by Ialheg. The one on the left is sorrel, and the one on the right is lemon mint. I also had mint and a perky little strawberry plant (just out of the photo). They are resting in pots while they recover from the shock of having made a very long trip through the postal system with their bottoms in damp tissue, and then I will be clearing a space in my front garden for them to begin my herb garden. Exciting! I will keep you in touch with their progress. Ialheg warned me that they can be quite invasive. Ialheg, that is no problem: this is a garden that is a friend to invasive plants. If we had Japanese Knotweed in Cambridge, rest assured I would have a clump somewhere, causing trouble. Invasive plants are welcome here! She also sent me this:

A lovely stripey Morsbag! Well, I have a special place in my heart for Morsbags: I don't know if you know about them, but it's a movement to stop people using plastic bags at supermarkets and to encourage people to make their own – they give you a pattern on their website and encourage you to use recycled materials, get together in groups to sew them, etc. It's an excellent idea, and the Morsbags themselves are a very useful shape and size and much better than supermarket plastic bags in terms of durability (and stylishness.) A Morsbag was actually the first thing I sewed a couple of years ago after a really long hiatus, while I was doing The Most Unbelievably Stressful Job In Cambridge, in which sewing things wasn't the norm (histrionics and court cases were the norm, but sewing things wasn't). Strangely enough I haven't made any since, but in my last charity shop fabric shopping trip I saw so many curtains and bed sheets and things that would make wonderful Morsbags that I began to have vague thoughts about making some more, and I shall take my new stripey bag as a sign. So thanks again Ialheg, not only do I love my plants and stripey bag, but it's inspired me to get recycling.

I am still selling all my yarn on ebay. On the positive side I feel less as if I am drowning in a sea of unfinished projects: on the negative side I hyperventilate every time I list something really juicy. I'm fighting the urge to message people who have bid and say, you don't know how precious this yarn is, I hope you're going to appreciate it. I don't think that would improve my rating as a seller.

0 comments: